Easy Ways to Add Flax to Your Diet
- Add whole or ground flaxseed to baked goods. Try it in such products as breads, quick breads, muffins, cookies, pizza crust, meatloaf, casseroles or lasagna. Sprinkle on hot or cold cereal.
- Mix 15 to 25 mL (1 to 2 tbsp) ground flaxseed in yogurt, frozen yogurt, ice cream, pudding, or cottage cheese.
- Add flaxseed to stews, spaghetti sauces, rice dishes, scrambled eggs, burgers (meat, poultry or vegan), pancakes or waffles.
- Add 15 mL (1 tbsp) flaxseed oil to 15 mL (1 tbsp.) maple syrup or honey as a sweetener instead of granulated sugar.
- Substitute flaxseed oil for the equivalent amount of mayonnaise or salad dressing.
- Make flaxseed butter or margarine by adding 125 mL (½ cup) flaxseed oil to 125 mL (½ cup) softened butter or margarine. Blend together. Refrigerate until solidified.
- Mix 15 mL (1 tbsp) flaxseed oil into 500 mL (2 cups) flavoured yogurt. Freeze until solid.